Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Thoughts on the Decalogue

The Decalogue is a republication of the creation covenant between humanity and God, adapted to the unique redemptive history of the nation of Israel.   It's unique character under the Old Covenant was an authoritative expression of God's moral will for the children of Israel... pedagogic of sin and the special need for grace which was also revealed in the ceremonial aspects of the larger Mosaic covenant, and normative as it relates to the individual's and nation's walk of faith.   Nature also teaches the moral law of God and it is put to use commonly in two ways to all outside of the covenant: for the individual, it provides him with the knowledge of his obligations but also grants him the ability to twist it to excuse his own heart or accuse others; for society as a whole, it lays the groundwork for civil government along with providing a ground for exercising the sword of justice.

For the current gospel age, the Decalogue continues to clarify our respective I-Thou and I-thou relationships and obligations.    I have an obligation and duty to obey God and walk in faithfulness toward him and all others however, the Decalogue does not and cannot redeem me.   Under the new covenant, the Decalogue ceases to operate as a covenantal norm... it was fulfilled for me in Christ and and has been put to death on the cross along with my sin and guilt.   I see it's perfections and seek to mirror them in my life, but the manner in which the righteousness expressed both in natural law and in the Decalogue as normative for my life has been transformed.   I am under obligation to walk in the Spirit and not under a code of bootstrap righteousness.   I can hold up both natural law and the Decalogue and see the beauty of them.... the righteous form that is called for in relationship to God and my fellow man; but if I fail to give consideration to the purpose and means... I return to the old arrangement.   As we are adopted in Christ, the beauty of the various forms of law prior to this current age is seen in Christ's fulfillment of them in love for both the Father and for his people; and, as we are called to mirror His image, we prayerfully and effectively seek forgiveness for our failings and trespasses and thankfully receive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment